WHAT WE DO: Reading Queer invests in the LGBTQ literary community through 3 major programs:
- RQ Writing Academy programs 8 – 10 annual creative writing workshops led by established LGBTQ authors.
- RQ Literary Festival, South Florida’s only LGBTQ-centric literary festival.
- RQ Writers In Residence @ The Betsy Hotel – South Beach, which offers short term residencies to aspiring and emerging LGBTQ writers.
All programs are free and open to the public. Each program enriches queer literary culture in South Florida, advances the careers of South Florida based queer writers and ensures queer voices are heard regardless of the political environment.
WHY READING QUEER VITAL FOR THE COMMUNITY: With rapidly changing conceptions of gender and sexuality and a historical moment defined by racialized forms of violence against various marginalized groups of queer-identified people, Reading Queer empowers and provides a safe space for aspiring, emerging and established writers, artists and mentors. Reading Queer serves as both respite and resource to amplify queer voices and effect change. Our mission is simple: foster and promote queer literary culture in South Florida.
Your tax-deductible donation funds these programs:
- RQ Literary Festival the only queer-centric literary festival of its kind in South Florida
- RQ Writing Academy, a series of writing workshops that fosters the careers of queer writers & writing teachers
- Reading Queer: Poetry In A Time Of Chaos (Anhinga Press, 2018)
- RQ Writers in Residence @ The Betsy Hotel
This Ain’t Your Momma’s Poetry’: Writers Showcase at Miami Book Fair”
by Craig Stanley NBC NEWS
Poetry is having a moment in Miami.
“Paris is Still Burning”, an energetic poetry reading and performance showcased contemporary LGBT poets of color this week.
Four artists, known for their work exploring social, racial and economic justice, were handpicked to read and perform at an event held by the Reading Queer Literary Festival at the 32nd annual Miami Book Fair…(Read more on NBC News: jump here.)